Saturday, June 27, 2009

"one day you're in, the next, you're out"

Yesterday, sometime in the morning, at the UCLA medical center, Michael Jackson died of cardiac arrest at age 50.

I've encountered several people who are heartbroken over the tragic lost and I have to point out, that compared to the horrible times of Michael Jackson's trial over Neverland, it was such a dramatic change in public opinion of the King of Pop. Of course, like many celebrities, we don't walk around the streets referring Brittany Spears as the "Princess" so naturally Jackson's own reference would not be titled "His Highness", but the amount of Michael Jackson jokes compared to Spears' comedy category is significantly higher, and more creative in my opinion.

The biggest criticism I have for the public opinion is that I wish the respect being openly expressed now was directed towards Mr. Jackson before he passed away. I'm sure he would have appreciated the support from American fans, as oppose to seeking that kind of respect for his larger fan base in Europe.

Continuing on in the music world, I am watching Paris By Night's most recent video (number 95) and they featured Australian Idol contestant Thanh Bui. Thanh made the top ten and performed his Vietnamese/English number "Mirror Mirror". In all honesty, he sounds like a very generic product of mainstream pop music and everytime I look at him, I'm reminded of my own Australian, largely shaped cousin John. (Although if I am correct, he seems to have replaced that big bone structure with a beer gut. At least from what recent facebook pictures show.) I would like to critique him as an artist and not as a fellow second generation Vietnamese because I would feel compelled to support him solely because of his ethnic background. In the past, I always felt more interest in second generation artist because they try to do what all us second generation kids do: succeed in the American standards while still being Vietnamese. For the same reason, I see the kids in my family frown down on these "artists" as comparable to American artists and the adults furrowing their brow at the thought of the "Americanized" Vietnamese music. And then to add on as a another blade of the double edged sword, a positive critique from me could never have credibility as a Vietnamese fan for a Vietnamese artist. The real credit and measure of success is from a foreigner. So here is my attempt at a subjective critique of this new artist:

His lyrics are a bit cheesy like he's still writing songs for a boy band. He doesn't have the originality and creativeness found in Jason Mraz or John Mayer's music. As a writer, I can understand the mediocrity of our written work. Not many are gifted with the ability to clearly translate our emotions into solid words. Musicians have the difficulty and advantage of conveying emotions through music as well as lyrics, where as writers relay solely on the reaction and interest of their readers. In that area, I think Thanh does well. He has the ear for catchy music, which in my standard, is important for a song because how else would the song get stuck into people's head? Catchy tunes have an addictive quality, which gives more reason for people to purchase such songs. However, the downside of Thanh's songs is that his "catchy beat" is also of generic sound. For example, his song "Kamikaze Love" is an upbeat tune meant for "rocking out" a solo in the privacy of the home but the composition of hard hitting beats resonate familiar cords often heard on the radio by other large name idols. I agree with Ms Cyndi Lauper when she says: "Thanh is one his way but he still needs to experience a lot". I think the more expressive and honest he can be in his music, the better he will succeed, because there is no doubt that he can skillfully carry a tune. It's only a matter of taking that really great heart and genuine quality of his personality and showcasing that in the biggest musical way possible.

I think it's that ability that really separates the brighter stars from the general glow of lights seen every night. That's how Michael Jackson made it so big.

"It is said that artist live their lives to the fulliest because it is their job as artist to record those experiences to the upmost acuity for others to witness." ~ Professor Karen Teoh.

No comments:

Post a Comment