Sunday, March 14, 2010

"outgrown"

"When I used to read fairy tales, I fancied that kind of thing never happened, and now here I am in the middle of one! There ought to be a book written about me, that there ought! And when I grow up, I'll write one-- but I'm already grown up now," she added in a sorrowful tone: "at least there's no room to grow up any more here." --Alice in Wonderland

As Lewis Carroll put it so eloquently (and in a believable childish narrative style), I think I have outgrown my home city. And although I tried to make my peace with being "at home" with my parents by reconnecting with my family members and finding ways to move on with my life despite the lack of physical movement, it's coming towards a year and I am running out of patience and ideas.

Here, I'm already grown up. Just like Alice felt already grown up inside of the White Rabbit's house. I suppose the appeal aspect behind Wonderland is not the escapist theme it carries in Alice's adventures, but the hidden struggles of a child transitioning into adulthood that Carroll inserts in between sub adventures. Bits and parts of Alice's journey where the inner child inside all of us, who has locked itself up in a secret room away from the injustices and contradictions of the adult world, is able to peek out and find a comforting friend.

I need to figure out how to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment