Sunday, August 16, 2009

for the average foodie and teenie

On Friday night, David and I went out to see "Julie and Julia", the new acclaimed movie in the food category featuring Amy Adams as the average government worker who aspires to fulfill the mastery of French cuisine with the help and inspiration of legendary Julia Child, played by Meryl Streep. As food lovers and partial movie goers, we thought it was a great idea.

I think Meryl Streep did a fantastic job, although I would gather that she got annoyed quickly with Julia Child's accent and form of talking. It felt like the story of Julie was not enough. She provided a nice balance to the biliography of Julia Child, but I don't feel as if it held up on its own. Her goal was simply to complete a long term goal that was involved with cooking and to document it because one of her other friends was gaining so much popularity through her blog entries. Seems a bit silly to me. I applaud those who can receive social commotion through their writing, including Liza, yet there is something too "casual" about the internet that makes such commotions seem obsolete or "unofficial". It's true that it is the public who ultimately decide what is popular by their standards of interest and it is from their wallets that the money will pour forth from into the wallets of these writers. Maybe it's because I've been going to a private school for too long that has caused me to believe only restricted items have authentic value. I feel as if the mini-Lydia engrained into my brain is speaking.

Anyways, back to the movie. I think if Julie Powell had gained something greater in the culinary field or in her life accomplishments via Julia Child (aside from having her book published and a movie made based on her writing), it would have added more meaning to her half of the plot or at least tied the two stories in a more cohesive message about both women's lives.

My second cinematic critic: "Wait for the Twilight"

So most of my friends are well aware of my Twilight bashing, book and movie, but despite all my verbal opposition towards the series, it didn't stop them from seeing the movie and falling in love with one of the characters (I'll be it, he's a werewolf and a very good looking actor who put on 30 lbs of muscle for the sequel). I agree that my opinion should not keep their curiosity confined and thus it should not keep mine abay either. So I decided to test out my hatred for its sincerity and started to watch the first of the Twilight series.

Pale and blood shot eyes are not a pretty look for anyone, not even the former Cedric Digory. Stalking is the way to come onto a girl. Also the "just got kicked in the balls and is trying to survive" look is also not very attractive.

Some quotes that I found to be amusing/painful to listen to:
"You can google it"
"What if I'm the bad guy?"
And the monologue is more on the cheesy side.
"I'm a killer! I'm the world's most dangerous pedator!"
"So the lion fell in love with a lamb"

HAHAHA and they really do sparkle!

And then after a dramatic talk, they lay on the grass and just stare wantingly into each other's eyes. Also for a family who hates sunlight, they sure have very wide, large windows.

So I'm just being nicky picky about a few mishaps in the movie, which I'm sure the director struggled with as well. However poor of a movie that it is, I can see the thrill and romanticism in falling in love with a vampire. It would be the most dramatic occurence to happen to your average teenager as well as the most interesting. I guess the majority of the population find their lives rather mundane. So they dream about encountering the fantastic and abnormal. Sort of like the roommate in Transformers 2, and the way things ended for him, I would predict a similar thing happening to anyone else. The people in stories like Twilight or Harry Potter are written to come off as ordinary, yet through the plot, there is an extraordinary characteristic that shines through. Perhaps it is because their character and strength is tested through the trials of the abnormal and thus their strengths appear grander in comparison.

As for myself, I cannot deny that I too seek adventure. Why else would I want to travel abroad so badly? However, in terms of drama, I think I have had enough.

People say that they hate drama and yet they crave it or seem to succumb to it so willingly. For a while, I thought that drama was the very essence or counterpart to peace and thus without drama, peace would only seem mundance to our eyes. Mom would always say that the human mind has a million things to worry about everyday. And from that worry, we grow older in age and appearance.

Alas, I am tired. It's time for bed or at least some light reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment